Added Dec 19, 2011
One swallow does not a summer make, or so goes the saying. So what about two dozen or so? Well it’s meant to be summer here in Sydney, but instead it’s miserable. And even on the day I decided to wear my nice new dress, could it be sunny for me to get some good summery pictures? Nope – I got caught in the rain twice today, actually. So instead of a fun outdoor photo shoot, I have the classy fallback of a sheet over a bookcase.
Hopefully the dress still looks good.
The pattern is an Advance Pattern from 1946, number 4247. Isn’t the neckline just fantastic? Although trying to get the diamond to be even was a bit tricky – I did the buttons on the floral fabric and then with the dress on I marked where the buttonhole should be on the swallow fabric. After sewing the buttonhole, I put the dress on again and this time marked where the button would sit, by drawing a line where the buttonhole sat. A little tedious, but it worked.
I raised the hem from the original upper calf length to just above the knee. The pattern was missing the pocket piece, so I drafted that, based on the picture on the envelope. I also decided to have the belt close with a button because a) I don’t know how to make a belt and while I’d like to do so at some point, I didn’t want to risk doing a bad job of it when it’s part of a dress, and b) I liked the idea of having the extra red button to bring out the red of the swallows and the contrast of the two fabrics.
Summer didn’t turn up to greet my dress, but then again I am in the wrong hemisphere for swallows. Still, hopefully the sun will come out and my birds can enjoy it soon.
cotton, interfacing, 7 buttons.