Added Aug 5, 2012
The sewing challenge on Burda came at the perfect time. I had exactly 2 yards of this BEAUTIFUL silk peacock print and wanted to make a dress that would really challenge my skills while I discovered how to work with silk. I envisioned a simple silhouette with some dramatic details to highlight the beautiful (almost neon!) pattern. After hunting around for a good pattern fit, i decided to mix a few favourite Burda designs. I love the soft draping around the neck of the Gathered Blouse, and the sweet gathered back panels of the Peplum Blouse.
I made a Frankenstein.
I cut the opening of the gathered blouse to the small of my back to up the sexy factor, and added darts so it was more form fitting. I made a skirt from the Peplum blouse pattern by eliminating the buttons in the front and lengthening it a a few inches. I made a muslin and worked hard to create a perfect fit. This was also the first time I sewed with bias tape. I love the graphic way it pops against the print. I think it keeps it from being too “sweet”.
I am over the moon happy with the results (there could not be a more breezy summer dress) and think it’s a great example of what you can do when you decide to mashup and reinterpret Burda patterns to create the exact image you had in your head.
We have just extended registration to accommodate a few more students
Make your Valentine's Day Extra Special, by Making your own Date Night Attire! There is still time..
Revamp those outdated wardrobe staples with chic designs in crisp white and classic denim...
Learn the skills you need to create a pant pattern that fits beautifully
Pattern of the Week
Show a little leg in this sexy skirt with a thigh high slit!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.