Added Aug 5, 2012
The sewing challenge on Burda came at the perfect time. I had exactly 2 yards of this BEAUTIFUL silk peacock print and wanted to make a dress that would really challenge my skills while I discovered how to work with silk. I envisioned a simple silhouette with some dramatic details to highlight the beautiful (almost neon!) pattern. After hunting around for a good pattern fit, i decided to mix a few favourite Burda designs. I love the soft draping around the neck of the Gathered Blouse, and the sweet gathered back panels of the Peplum Blouse.
I made a Frankenstein.
I cut the opening of the gathered blouse to the small of my back to up the sexy factor, and added darts so it was more form fitting. I made a skirt from the Peplum blouse pattern by eliminating the buttons in the front and lengthening it a a few inches. I made a muslin and worked hard to create a perfect fit. This was also the first time I sewed with bias tape. I love the graphic way it pops against the print. I think it keeps it from being too “sweet”.
I am over the moon happy with the results (there could not be a more breezy summer dress) and think it’s a great example of what you can do when you decide to mashup and reinterpret Burda patterns to create the exact image you had in your head.
Save 40% on some of our most stylish patterns with the code BOXING2014
Sew in the new year with patterns that were 'the' patterns 2014! (we are also putting them on sale)
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
Flaunt your sewing skills as well as your fab fashion sense in these modern, head-turning designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.