Summer Sewing Challenge - Peacock silk
Added Aug 5, 2012
The sewing challenge on Burda came at the perfect time. I had exactly 2 yards of this BEAUTIFUL silk peacock print and wanted to make a dress that would really challenge my skills while I discovered how to work with silk. I envisioned a simple silhouette with some dramatic details to highlight the beautiful (almost neon!) pattern. After hunting around for a good pattern fit, i decided to mix a few favourite Burda designs. I love the soft draping around the neck of the Gathered Blouse, and the sweet gathered back panels of the Peplum Blouse.
I made a Frankenstein.
I cut the opening of the gathered blouse to the small of my back to up the sexy factor, and added darts so it was more form fitting. I made a skirt from the Peplum blouse pattern by eliminating the buttons in the front and lengthening it a a few inches. I made a muslin and worked hard to create a perfect fit. This was also the first time I sewed with bias tape. I love the graphic way it pops against the print. I think it keeps it from being too “sweet”.
I am over the moon happy with the results (there could not be a more breezy summer dress) and think it’s a great example of what you can do when you decide to mashup and reinterpret Burda patterns to create the exact image you had in your head.