Added Jul 12, 2012
I had in mind to make a paperbag dress but couldn’t find a pattern that exactly suited my idea.
I then decided, for the top, to use the unfamous BWOF 02/2011 #101 cap sleeved dress, that looks so perfect on everyone who’s tried it.
I didn’t line it, and finished it with bias cut in the same fabric.
For the bottom, I patiently pleated a rectangle of fabric… I knew I wanted a belt to go through the pleats, to give that paperbag effect, so I created belt loops using 1 inch long buttonholes. 16 pleats make 32 buttonholes, which take a lot of time to complete ! You can see on the last picture a view of the fabric before i pleated it. Each double arrow shows a future buttonhole…
When top and bottom were finished, I sewed them together, and added a zipper at the back.
I hemed the skirt using a red bias on the inside ; I know I saw this technique somewhere online, but can’t remember where nor the name of this kind of finishing.
I’m super happy with the result, and it makes a perfect summer dress.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
See what pattern Meg is "mashing up" and see how you can easily sew along too!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.