Added Jul 12, 2012
I had in mind to make a paperbag dress but couldn’t find a pattern that exactly suited my idea.
I then decided, for the top, to use the unfamous BWOF 02/2011 #101 cap sleeved dress, that looks so perfect on everyone who’s tried it.
I didn’t line it, and finished it with bias cut in the same fabric.
For the bottom, I patiently pleated a rectangle of fabric… I knew I wanted a belt to go through the pleats, to give that paperbag effect, so I created belt loops using 1 inch long buttonholes. 16 pleats make 32 buttonholes, which take a lot of time to complete ! You can see on the last picture a view of the fabric before i pleated it. Each double arrow shows a future buttonhole…
When top and bottom were finished, I sewed them together, and added a zipper at the back.
I hemed the skirt using a red bias on the inside ; I know I saw this technique somewhere online, but can’t remember where nor the name of this kind of finishing.
I’m super happy with the result, and it makes a perfect summer dress.
BurdaStyle Project of the Week
Meg made this edgy variation of the Open Back Dress!
Pattern of the Week
This fitted jacket will keep you warm and stylish on those cool summer nights!
Dive back into 1956 with this stylish two in one pant suit pattern!
Member Project of the Week
Get inspired by printed floral bustier dress with flounce! It is so summery.
The style is cool and sporty beach wear that can be worn anywhere!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.