Added Jul 12, 2012
I had in mind to make a paperbag dress but couldn’t find a pattern that exactly suited my idea.
I then decided, for the top, to use the unfamous BWOF 02/2011 #101 cap sleeved dress, that looks so perfect on everyone who’s tried it.
I didn’t line it, and finished it with bias cut in the same fabric.
For the bottom, I patiently pleated a rectangle of fabric… I knew I wanted a belt to go through the pleats, to give that paperbag effect, so I created belt loops using 1 inch long buttonholes. 16 pleats make 32 buttonholes, which take a lot of time to complete ! You can see on the last picture a view of the fabric before i pleated it. Each double arrow shows a future buttonhole…
When top and bottom were finished, I sewed them together, and added a zipper at the back.
I hemed the skirt using a red bias on the inside ; I know I saw this technique somewhere online, but can’t remember where nor the name of this kind of finishing.
I’m super happy with the result, and it makes a perfect summer dress.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.