Added May 20, 2012
Firstly I would like to thank Marina Von Koenig for her great Blog post and writing about this pattern and her beautiful dress, it is very helpful and the discussion was very useful too.
Secondly I’d like to share my learning experience:
So I was in University all year and finally summer is here so I decided to start a sewing project for some pure fun.
I have only made 2 dresses using Burda patterns and with little experience I just learn as I go. This dress caught my eye because if its cool retro style.
Fabric: I used a blend of linen and cotton. the fabric store I shop at has huge collections of everything but linen. For some reason, it wasn’t abundant (and also was quite expensive). And so I bought my fabrics and started researching more about linen. Since my two fabrics were slightly different in density I wanted to pre-shrink them before I even start (there are so many approaches on how to do this), I went with the good old washing machine on gentle cycle and ironed it to dry (it does fray easily so zig zaging the ends might have been a good idea).
I was surprised that linen is so heat resistant, which is good for me because I was too lazy to iron with protection ;)
I also bought fabric for lining but ended up not using it because linen is so nice and breezy (though very transparent).
I was very excited to start cutting and sewing after so much research, that I didn’t really see that the pattern said “seam allowance not included”…mmm…the last pattern I used did include it… It took me some time to really understand the significance of my mistake. So what was supposed to be one easy day of just sewing ended up being a bargain over seam allowance! This is such unprofessional sewing but I did not have enough of my precious fabric to start over.
Another problem that came up is that I have a big…but. Small waist, big but, you do the math.
So with seam allowance of zero I hoped for the best… after I saw that it might still fit me, I added long darts in the back, I referred to a different pattern but basically just drew them blindly.
Bias tape was interesting since I’ve never used it before! I could not figure out the patterns’ explanation on how to use it so I went to my know-it-all friend – YouTube. I definitely did not do it the traditional way but it works:)
I also made the front collar slightly more rounded and skipped the pockets…
The sewing itself was very easy, the curves were much easier than I thought, I just pinned and basted before stitching. I find the invisible zipper more challenging!
I will have to iron it every time I wear it since it is so prone to wrinkling and I also hope it doesn’t fray the first time I wear it out:)
So that’s pretty much it, If you can call a cascade of trial and error and fix, a couture dress, than I did it!
Make something special and practical for your friends and family this holiday season!
Pattern of the Week
This slim-fit dress makes a perfect cocktail dress for this time of year!
Sweet dresses, an outfit for a doll, and cute embellishments are fun for the holidays!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Straight Skirt, and how she made it look so yummy!
Member Project of the Week
The latest Elie Saab collection inspired this hand-beaded dress by chanel2005.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.