Added Aug 20, 2008
I made this shirt from a free pattern downloaded from the Burda Fashion website – the Empire Top + Dress pattern. I cut out the size 36 but forgot to add seam allowances, didn’t matter as the top is very roomy and I cut an extra inch off the front and back pattern pieces (which amounted to 4 inches in total) to get a bit of slimmer fit. I didn’t use bias around the neckline and arms, simply turned the edges under to create the casing for the elastic (lazy but it worked fine.) French seams on the vertical seams and machine rolled hem give it a great finish inside – I’m becoming obsessed with finishing. I love the fabric – bright and summery flowers – hoping for some warm weather over the next couple of weeks before fall sets in so I can wear it. The dress version of this pattern would be super cute too.
Cotton flower fabric from Jo Ann’s bought during my last trip across the border to Buffalo
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.