Added Jun 21, 2011
The timeless pillow case dress for summer! I had some left over cherry print fabric so I decided to make my daughter a nice cool summer dress. It doesn’t get any easier than this for a quick sewing fix. It is easy to make and only takes about 1/2 an hour to make.
1. Measure from collar bone to knee and add 2-3" for hem.
2. Measure width of child and double.
3. Cut out 2 rectangles of your measurements.
4. Sew pieces together at sides.
6. Measure collar bone to under armpit. Cut out arm holes by folding dress in half (wrong side out) and cutting out a “J” shape of your measurement. I went down 5" and over 2 1/2" for my 10 year old daughter. (I have a step by step on my blog with pictures). Sew Determined
7. Add bias tape to finish edges of arm holes.
8. Fold over top edge of dress and hem to make your casing for your ribbon.
9. Add ribbon through front and back casings and you are done!
cotton, ribbon, bias tape
Dress up outerwear with deep shawl collars and sew up a lovely fitted dress with a flounced hemline.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
See one of the techniques you'll learn in November's Fabric Design course.
Fashion & Trends
Can't wait for the Hunger Games film? Sew up the perfect Katniss outfit!
Pattern of the Week
Sew yourself a bunch of different colored pullovers this season for a cozy and quick project!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.