Added Jun 21, 2011
The timeless pillow case dress for summer! I had some left over cherry print fabric so I decided to make my daughter a nice cool summer dress. It doesn’t get any easier than this for a quick sewing fix. It is easy to make and only takes about 1/2 an hour to make.
1. Measure from collar bone to knee and add 2-3" for hem.
2. Measure width of child and double.
3. Cut out 2 rectangles of your measurements.
4. Sew pieces together at sides.
6. Measure collar bone to under armpit. Cut out arm holes by folding dress in half (wrong side out) and cutting out a “J” shape of your measurement. I went down 5" and over 2 1/2" for my 10 year old daughter. (I have a step by step on my blog with pictures). Sew Determined
7. Add bias tape to finish edges of arm holes.
8. Fold over top edge of dress and hem to make your casing for your ribbon.
9. Add ribbon through front and back casings and you are done!
cotton, ribbon, bias tape
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
We've updated our subscription service... get your next issue by mail!
Pattern of the Week
This flirty dress is ready for an island getaway or a night of salsa dancing
Fashion & Trends
How to find flattering patterns and cheat fit on ready-to-wear without altering.
Trousers, blazers, and blouses in cool neutrals have model-off-duty style.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.