Added Jun 21, 2011
The timeless pillow case dress for summer! I had some left over cherry print fabric so I decided to make my daughter a nice cool summer dress. It doesn’t get any easier than this for a quick sewing fix. It is easy to make and only takes about 1/2 an hour to make.
1. Measure from collar bone to knee and add 2-3" for hem.
2. Measure width of child and double.
3. Cut out 2 rectangles of your measurements.
4. Sew pieces together at sides.
6. Measure collar bone to under armpit. Cut out arm holes by folding dress in half (wrong side out) and cutting out a “J” shape of your measurement. I went down 5" and over 2 1/2" for my 10 year old daughter. (I have a step by step on my blog with pictures). Sew Determined
7. Add bias tape to finish edges of arm holes.
8. Fold over top edge of dress and hem to make your casing for your ribbon.
9. Add ribbon through front and back casings and you are done!
cotton, ribbon, bias tape
Member Project of the Week
Suzeb's superhero inspired swimsuit will make you want to be a kid again!
Get 9 patterns specially picked for shorter stitchers.
See how Burda members are styling pants for summer.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up
See how one of our editors gets her inspiration.
Take off with pleats, cut-outs, insets, and futuristic prints.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.