Added Dec 19, 2013
I had a piece of cotton lawn in my stash, with a meadow pattern. I thought it would be enough for a dress, so I chose the pattern, cut the skirt part and then it started…..
I used the same pattern as for the November Sky checkered dress (heavily modified Burda patterns for dress #108 from Burda 10/2013 and 005A skirt from Burda Classic.
I had to do some serious thinking and measuring and adapting the pieces of pattern, because with each piece I had smaller and smaller amount of fabric to cut from. Finally I had to divide pieces into smaller pieces and sew them together, lucky me this print is very busy and you cannot see most of the connecting seams. I made it! o
While choosing project I keep trying to find some new things to learn and new techniques to try out. This time I chose piping and I’m happy I did because first, I tried it and it’s not that difficult as I thought, and second, the print on the fabric is so busy that the piping gave the pieces of a pattern some definition. I finished the neckline and arm openings with bias tape. I also added the piping on the back. The front has the seamline at the same place but I skipped the piping there because I’d end up with a strange yellow line across my bust.
Generally speaking, I have a relaxed Spring/Summer dress. All I need now is a warm weather to be able to wear it, please…. -~~~
cotton, piping, bias tape
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's variation of our Drawstring Gym Shorts, and see how she made them high-fashion!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.