Added Dec 19, 2013
I had a piece of cotton lawn in my stash, with a meadow pattern. I thought it would be enough for a dress, so I chose the pattern, cut the skirt part and then it started…..
I used the same pattern as for the November Sky checkered dress (heavily modified Burda patterns for dress #108 from Burda 10/2013 and 005A skirt from Burda Classic.
I had to do some serious thinking and measuring and adapting the pieces of pattern, because with each piece I had smaller and smaller amount of fabric to cut from. Finally I had to divide pieces into smaller pieces and sew them together, lucky me this print is very busy and you cannot see most of the connecting seams. I made it! o
While choosing project I keep trying to find some new things to learn and new techniques to try out. This time I chose piping and I’m happy I did because first, I tried it and it’s not that difficult as I thought, and second, the print on the fabric is so busy that the piping gave the pieces of a pattern some definition. I finished the neckline and arm openings with bias tape. I also added the piping on the back. The front has the seamline at the same place but I skipped the piping there because I’d end up with a strange yellow line across my bust.
Generally speaking, I have a relaxed Spring/Summer dress. All I need now is a warm weather to be able to wear it, please…. -~~~
cotton, piping, bias tape