Added Jan 22, 2011
This fabric was a cheap fitted cot sheet I bought from a charity shop. I loved the pattern (although I’m still not quite sure if the animals are meant to be dogs or rabbits) so decided to buy it. I’d come up with the basic design a while earlier, and had liked the cut out backs a lot of people had made during the northern summer. Now that it’s summer down here I decided it was time for me to do the same.
The piece of fabric was fairly small, so I used some heavy white cotton I already had. I changed a little bit away from my original sketch with the neckline/collar, which I’d originally planned to stitch in completely. Instead, I left it standing out a bit, which I think gives it a slight sailor hint. The collar buttons at the back, and there are buttons on both sides of the collar at the back for symmetry. The pockets are actually from the inside bit of the neckline, so I had almost no fabric wastage.
The dress is a bit childish, but I figure I’m built like a child so I might as well play off that in my clothes.
Apologies that the collar is a bit crushed in the photos – they were taken at the end of the day after I’d been wearing the dress, so things weren’t sitting quite as neatly as they had at the beginning of the day.
cotton, stretch cotton