Added Nov 2, 2009
Palo Alto, Calif...
Here’s my very blue Smurfette costume. This was the first time that I sewed spandex and didn’t have any real difficulty, but I think I should have used a stretch stitch or something.
The dress bodice is a modified Danielle bodice with a 7" inch zipper on the side – I was lazy and grabbed the only white zipper left at Wal-mart instead of going to Jo-Ann’s, but the dress fit over my head so it worked. I free handed the bottom and cut out the tear dropped shapes.
For the top, I traced a shirt I owned and ‘drafted’ the sleeve. I added a collar that went up my neck so I only had to put face paint on my face and not my neck. The tights are from a free pattern download. I traced my hands for the gloves (I think they were the most difficult part of the costume).
I made some shoe covers but did not like the way they turned out, so I rocked my yellow- biege heels as they were.
For the hat, I free handed it. It is two pieces – an inner band with the hair weave sewn directly to it and the “smurf” hat that was pulled over it.
Dress and hat – 1 thrifted bed sheet
Body suit – about 2.5 yards spandex/lycra
Fashion & Trends
A refresher course on some of this season's top runway trends.
One of the most beloved American designers passed last night. We look back at a few of his designs.
Fashion & Trends
Shop top selling silk patterns, just in time for Thursday's web seminar.
Dress up outerwear with deep shawl collars and sew up a lovely fitted dress with a flounced hemline.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.