Added May 18, 2011
Reading, United ...
This is based on a dress that I saw online and I decided to have a go at making it without a pattern. The fabric I used was from cotton bedsheets which I bought on sale for £1! I had to line it though as it was white and slightly see-through.
The dress itself is easy to make. I added extra shirring around the waist on both sides for it to hang better.
The flowers took a lot of work though… ideally I would’ve liked to use two lines of long straight stitches so simply gather the strips of fabric but the thread kept breaking perhaps due to the more than 1 layer of slightly stiff fabric. After several attempts I decided to use elastic thread (same as what I used for smocking earlier) which achieved a result that I am happy about.
The results are in! Check out our winning submission.
Daydream about fall sewing with boho layers, oversized jackets, and a leopard pencil skirt.
Get 9 patterns specially picked for shorter stitchers.
Member Project of the Week
Suzeb's superhero inspired swimsuit will make you want to be a kid again!
See how Burda members are styling pants for summer.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.