Added Aug 22, 2011
I am a beginner, so I often bite off more than I can chew.
This time, I think it came out OK!
Unfortunately, my phone (camera) died in the middle of the project, so I stopped documenting steps until the final outcome. Note that the shirt (before) is on an adult-sized hanger, while the dress (after) is on a kid’s hanger.
After removing the straps from the front only, and the sash, I measured and cut the shirt, front and back together, using the midline as my guidepoint. I used interfacing on the front side of the seam to strengthen it, since the back side was smocked. I pinned in the sash pieces that I trimmed down, Then I sewed the front and back together, doubling up on my diagonal stitch on the smocked area to finish the seams.
Once the two sides were sewn together, I folded the top of the front over to match the back side (the original blouse had a higher front than back), and made a strip of fabric to line the seam allowance and cover the strap ends, again using interfacing on the inside to strengthen the top of the dress. I pinned it up and sewed the straps onto the front, between the lining and the front of the dress, sewing close to the fold.
I hope that makes sense. I’m new to the lingo.
UPDATE: The model has awakened, and my straps are too close to the sides of the garment, once it’s on. Lucky for me, I left the whole length of the straps, for just this reason. I might make them more narrow, since I will likely have to remove them from both sides to get the right angle. Now if only my wily size-2x model wouldn’t run away every time we have to do a fitting. Sigh.
Used only the shirt and some interfacing.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.