Sixties muppet coat
Added Dec 3, 2012
London, United K...
I have had this fabric in my stash for a whole year. The idea was to make a cape, but it turns out that I look terrible in all capes, so that plan was abandoned. According to the shop it was ‘Italian wool- ex Prada stock’. I thought this was probably nonsense, but I took advice and did a burn test, and it is indeed wool of some kind (it stank!), though probably not merino as that makes me itch.
The pattern is V8860. World’s easiest coat pattern, which is a good job because it was my first coat. Turns out coats= not that scary. The only change I made to the instructions was to bag the lining instead of lining the sleeves separately, because that just seemed silly,
The pattern has quite a bit of ease. I measured the pieces and went for a 10. I have a 36 inch bust measurement, and I could definitely fit a big jumper under it. The lining is from Abakhan’s, and the buttons are too. They were dirt cheap, and I slightly regret skimping on them, but I was so certain it was going to go horribly wrong that I didn’t want to spend the extra money. I also interlined with a piece of micro fleece I got on ebay. This has made the coat really warm, but also breathable. However, the fleece is stretchy, and the lining is not. Some bad stuff happened attaching the lining to the interlining. I will definitely fork out for Thermolam next time.
For all the problems I do really like it. I think it looks kinda Twiggy meets Fraggle Rock. In the Spring I think I will make the hooded view in a waxed cotton with a fun lining. It has got me over my coat fear, and I’m keen to start burning through all the wool in my stash.
Wool outer, polyester lining, fleece interlining