Added May 27, 2010
London, United K...
Both bridesmaids dresses for my September wedding are now finished! Since I’m sewing both of these plus my own gown, I stipulated that these had to be knit so that I could sew them early and my girls could feel free to gain or lose a few pounds without too much last-minute alterations hassle.
Read way way more about the process of making these plus a ton of details photos by going to FehrTrade.com
For both dresses I used 100% silk jersey from Classic Textiles on Goldhawk Road, plus silk satin (charmeuse) for the cummerbund & cummerbund lining from the same shop, plus mauve lingerie tricot from Fabrics-n-Stuff.co.uk for lining the bodice and skirt.
When we went fabric shopping last year, I told the girls they could choose any colours they wanted from the available silk jersey at Classic Textiles, so long as it wasn’t white or black, and they couldn’t choose the same colour (to avoid looking “wedding colour”y matchy-matchy, eww). As it turned out, they chose within 10 seconds of seeing the swatches – P chose deep purple and found an exact match in silk satin, and G chose a pale silver jersey with a peachy/pinky/salmon silk satin. And considering that the fabric bill for these came under £100, I don’t think we’ve done too badly at all!
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.