Added Sep 30, 2010
Cary, United States
This was my first complete alteration and in this case, starting from a simple silk bathrobe.
I detached both sleeves and rounded their edges. I sewed the sleeve holes. After opening up both ends of the actual original sleeves, I used the openings as casings for the tie of the robe to go through. I cut and sewed the neckline of the robe and attached the tie with the sleeves hanging off to the neckline of the dress, leaving two long strips to tie into a bow. I then sewed the front of the robe completely, making it a dress you slip on over your head.
It took me about eight hours, especially because of my skill level and I improvised it the whole way through! It may not sound like I had to do much, but it was a real project.
The fabric itself was very difficult to work with.
Exotic prints and silhouettes combine for this alluring collection
Fashion & Trends
While Sewing Their Own Halloween Costume (in GIFs!)
Member Project of the Week
Rwest1014's created this gorgeous skirt to wear Halloween after Halloween.
Comment To Win
Get your copy of BurdaStyle Modern Sewing: Wardrobe Essentials today!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
See the pattern that Meg chose to Mash Up next and how you can sew along (she chose one on sale)!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.