Added May 9, 2011
New York, New Yo...
Shirt dress in gray, navy, maroon stripe lightweight cotton shirting. Looking through my patterns, I started with BSM #111 from the May 2010 issue. (I’ve made a lot projects from that particular issue!) My inspiration was a Marc Jacobs shirt dress and also some dresses I saw that looked like men’s shirts. The difficulty was creating a dress of this style that doesn’t look like a sack on my figure. I made the following changes to the pattern: FBA, which included moving the shoulder seam a little bit forward and adding gathers; straightened the side seams (original is slightly a-line), curved the cuff corners, added darts on the upper back which become inverted pleats below, and a shirt-tail hem. I omitted the pockets. Despite al these efforts, I think that the dress is a little big and a little sack like. With a hip belt though, it seems okay.
Technical: Precision is important with this pattern. The placket and sleeve vents were a challenge. Definitely a solid intermediate + level pattern.
Lightweight cotton shirting, La Petite brand buttons (made domestically!), rayon embroidery thread for top stitching
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.