Added Feb 22, 2014
Norwich, United ...
I made this dress from the burdastyle pattern from december 2013. Because I usually have to make modifications to get the bodice to fit I muslined it in cotton and thankfully I didn’t need to change anything! Burda patterns are turning out to be my body type! Finally, I’ve found a company that makes patterns that fit me with minimum modifications! Although I did move the neckline up by about 2cm because it was a little too low for my tastes. This stretch satin is very hard to iron unfortunately, so sorry for the wrinkles.
In this project I did my first kick pleat. The instructions were confusing, but looking at other skirts of mine I could figure out how to make one, although I think I made it on the wrong side.
The boddice is interfaced to make it stiffer, and is also lined. The skirt is not lined, and I regret not lining it because the satin fabric makes a lot of static against tights, so I can’t wear tights with it. Oh well.
I wore this dress for my work christmas party. Very comfortable! I could have left the straps off though, the dress stayed up quite well before I put the straps on, but I though it would be a little too much Jessica Rabbit if I went strapless.
A nice fit for me and I might remake it one day in a different fabric.
Learn why every seamstress can benefit from flat patternmaking from instructor Deborah Moebes.
How to Grade, Draft, Design, and Sew Leggings with Meg!
Go far afield in wrap dresses, detailed jackets, and comfy separates for fall.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Check out Meg's finished Mash Up project of her denim suit and see how you can sew along!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.