Added Dec 26, 2010
I picked up the fabric for this project at the Portland SCRAP store, which accepts donations of unused craft supplies and resells them to creative types like me. I got a vintage cape pattern (Simplicity 5303) along with a bunch of others off of ebay awhile ago, and somehow the two just stuck together in my head, and I was not able to unstick them… now that I think about it I also could’ve made a nice pair of pants with the fabric, but there’s enough left over for some shorts, so whatever.
I think it’s some kind of polyester blend, and it unravels like crazy! It made doing the corners kind of difficult. It isn’t very thick, and I get cold all the time, so I got some cotton flannel to use as interlining. It still isn’t overly cozy, but I should be able to wear it in the spring and fall just fine.
I like to think of this project as leading into a lined jacket or coatand it definitely showed me that I have a lot to learn! As you can probably see from the pictures, the hem is a little weird. I used stabilizing hem tape to give it some shape, but it’s showing through in a funny way and ironing doesn’t seem to fix it… oh well! And then I didn’t really know what I was doing and made it up as I went along, and especially from the inside it’s pretty wonky… and I probably should’ve used a heavier interfacing. Whatever. I’ll do better next time, I guess.
Even if the craftsmanship leaves something to be desired, I’m kind of proud of the various design decisions. The buttons and the lining match the accent threads of the fabric perfectly, and it all works together really well.
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
Pattern of the Week
Get warm in a hurry in this easy to sew shrug jacket
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.