SHEER FLORA + FAUNA BLOUSE
Added Aug 22, 2010
My first attempt at making a garment from a pattern in about 4 years. And with no help!! So much to learn…particularly collars and sleeves!! They were the death of me….
+Somehow the collar ended up being too small for my neck which altered the fit too much. Also, the pattern called for a collar stand and I was totally confused how to make that happen! I used this tutorial for help (http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/sewing-a-shirt-collar-with-collar-stand), but wasn’t too successful.
+Sleeves ended up being topstitched, not sure how that happened! Any good tutorials with plenty of photos you recommend? I had problems with the gathering stitches and making the sleeves fit properly into the blouse. Also, I made up a way to add cuffs…didn’t really follow the instructions for the sleeve placket and I think they turned out okay. I think I’ll add buttons later.
+The back of the shirt had a pretty gnarly slit, but I remedied that with a heart cutout! I was really pleased with how it turned out.
+Darts, manual button hole making (ahh, that was a challenge! tiny zig zag stitches and then I cut-out the holes with scissors and seam ripper!)
Definitely room for improvement, but I’m really happy with my first blouse! It’s wearable at least!
+Main bodice of blouse is made from old curtains I thrifted. Feels like cotton, frayed a bit too often.
Sleeves and back heart cut-out made from thrifted polyester curtains. Surprisingly not too hard to work with since I’ve never worked with something so sheer.
+Buttons from a dollar grab bag; I used the blue tie from another dress to cover up my goofs with the collar and button front.
+I didn’t have interfacing, so I used a twill fabric. Worked surprisingly well!
- Spring, Summer
- Garment Type
- Classic, Preppy, Romantic, Vintage
- Cotton, Polyester
- Built by Wendy Shirt Pattern