Added Aug 31, 2011
Oakland Park, Fl...
I made this top for a garden party. I wanted to be covered (protected from mosquitoes) and cool. The pattern (V8581) calls for stretch fabric but I wanted something a bit more ‘breathable’ so I chose a silk chiffon instead. I adjusted the sleeve and neck bindings to compensate. I decided to do French Seams opposed to surging. I used china silk for the camisole. It is a really simple pattern and I made it two sizes larger than what I normally wear and it did not have the amount of gathers as shown in the pattern picture. Since I did not use stretch fabric, it would have been a good idea to put a button on the sleeve, but a twist to the left and a twist to the right and my hands are through. I’m 5’7” so I should have made the sleeves and the bodice a little longer, but over all I’m pleased with it.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.