Added Jan 17, 2011
London, United K...
I’ve been thinking about shawl collars for a while now. I like their soft, flowing lines, and how they make a top seem so much more comfortable than the standard pointy collars. Those ones remind me too much of school.
This blouse is my first finished project of 2011 – the pattern was based on Style 2986, bought for 50p at the op-shop. It was with 2 collar options, and also an option to add long, cuffed sleeves to it. I made the sleeveless version, as I intend to wear it under cardis, and didn’t want the extra fabric bunching up underneath.
The green rayon came from eBay, and I have a feeling you’ll be seeing this fabric a lot this year – I purchased a 10 metre roll from a retired seamstress, and have barely used up a metre of it. Those shiny green buttons came from a friend who was clearing out her kitchen cupboards and found a hoard of buttons.
French seams were used on the inside seams, since I hate seeing fraying threads. Sewing up the blouse took hardly any time at all, it was the finishing touches that took me ages. I finished the sleeves with vintage grey seam binding (bought from the 2nd hand shop I used to work in), and then hemmed them with a catch stitch for an ‘invisible’ look. The hem of the blouse was sewn up with a ladder stitch for a similar finish. I also used bound buttonholes – the first time I’ve used more than one on a garment.
rayon, thread, seam binding, plastic buttons