Added Feb 10, 2011
I experienced a sudden hankering for seersucker one Sunday early in the new year. I was thinking yellow, but when I tracked down the elusive fabric it was blue I wanted. It was DKNY and not the bargain-basement price I was hoping for, but dreams come at a price. I had to have it before I’d even decided what to sew, and then when I made up my mind to sew Dress A from Stylish Dress Book 1 I realised the blue would look very uniformy and wasn’t the summer frock I’d envisaged. Enter inspiration! It’s a mark of my improving sewing confidence that I’m able to improvise; this time by inserting an internal casing (as practiced in Simplicity 2863 Built By Wendy dress), with a three-centimetre elastic threaded through. It was still looking a bit borderline frump, so I whipped up a contrasting navy and white spotted yoyo. I finished it all off with a machine-stitched blind hem and voila!
Dress A from Stylish Dress Book 1 is the easiest thing I’ve sewn from a Japanese sewing book. I have automatically gone for the largest size when making up these patterns, and added seam allowance and length, and the results have been a bit loose-fitting. This time my enthusiasm for the seersucker made me rush and I forgot to add the seam allowance, which turned out to be a blessing. It’s the best fitting of the finished products, and I didn’t need to add length, either.
DKNY seersucker, 3 centimetre-wide elastic