Added Sep 7, 2011
It was such a mistake to wait until two days before attending a wedding to start making a dress to wear for the event! It was particularly dumb considering I was planning on making a bombshell dress. It was much more time consuming than I expected. In the end, it turned out alright, but I stressed myself out trying to finish the dress. I ended up finishing it on the day of the wedding.
The fabric I bought was cotton seething in sea foam color. I tend to go for dark blue, purple or lavender so I wanted to try something new. I didn’t realize it was such a bridemaidsy color until I was close to completing the dress. Thank God that we don’t have the bridesmaid tradition here in Japan. No one thought I looked like a bridesmaid because they don’t know what they are! The game would not have worked if it were a wedding in the States.
The pattern is a Burda pattern that came with Craftsy.com’s Perfect Fit Bombshell Dress class I took. I do like the pattern a lot. The sweet heart neckline is really lovely, and I like the sarong skirt. I did not have enough fabric to make the sarong skirt, so I used the pattern I previously drafted myself. It is an I line skirt with pleats in front and darts in back.
I cut out the smallest size pattern, and made a muslin. I’m not sure what the measurements should be for the smallest size, because I didn’t have time to read directions, but it was way too big for me. I ended up taking 6″ all around the bodice. I’m not sure what happened?! I usually fit the smallest size of the Burda pattern just fine. I was so glad to have made the muslin though! I would not have been happy if I jumped in with the fashion fabric just to discover that the dress didn’t fit at all.
I usually go for an invisible zipper, but as suggested in the class, I used flat zipper. I do like the look of it, and it is easier to zip up than an invisible zipper. Sometimes I fear that I will kill the zipper when I’m using an invisible one.
The entire dress is underlined with muslin fabric. I love the effect of the underlining! It gave so much structure and shape to the dress, without being stiff like it would have, had I used paper-like iron on interface. I finished the skirt slit opening with grosgrain ribbon, that was left-over from making a waist stay.
For the top part, I lined it with the same fashion fabric, and also boning. The bust is padded. I attached the lining by hand, while watching Season 4 of project runway.
This is only the second strapless dress I have ever worn, the previous being my wedding dress. Thanks to boning in the bodice and waist stay it fit pretty well, better than what I would be able to buy at a store. However, I still felt a bit insecure about the bust line, and I had to pay attention not to reveal my breasts accidentally. I felt a bit “bare” at the wedding… everyone else had some kind of shawl or cardigan and I wished that I brought something to cover my shoulder. Surprisingly, the dress fit better by the end of the day, after all the food!
I think I am going to make shoulder straps so I can wear this for other occasions.
More blogged here
cotton, muslin, plastic boning, thread, flat knit zipper, grosgrain ribbon
Make something special and practical for your friends and family this holiday season!
Pattern of the Week
This slim-fit dress makes a perfect cocktail dress for this time of year!
Sweet dresses, an outfit for a doll, and cute embellishments are fun for the holidays!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Straight Skirt, and how she made it look so yummy!
Member Project of the Week
The latest Elie Saab collection inspired this hand-beaded dress by chanel2005.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.