Sam's First JJ
Added Oct 28, 2009
London, United K...
Here’s my JJ…finished after the Desira because I gave up struggling with the armbands, of all things. I had to unpick them twice as they were cutting into my arms each time I tried them, then I realised my trying to make them exactly to my arm measurement was never going to work so I went back to the pattern size!
I have a largish bust (larger than I’d like) and prefer not to draw attention to its size so omitted the ruffles (…though I have some lovely brown silk I might try a ruffley version with, watchout for JJ no.2!)
Other alterations include pattern size adjustment, a flap at the front to hide the buttons, french seams (the first time I’ve tried them) and a long narrow belt – I wasn’t going to make a belt at all but after I’d finished and realised the waist was so huge, I didn’t fancy unpicking all those seams or adding a dart detail, so succombed to the belt.
I’m really happy with the finished thing, it’s got me hooked on Burdastyle and I’ve got a few more things on the go (an Ellinor variation – into the top I was looking for when I stumbled across the website – a Steffi variation, an Anda in the pipeline and possibly an Eva – when I figure out how to change the lapel to how I want it…).
I’ve neglected my sewing machine for about 15 years, never tried to fit anything to my measurements and never altered anything from the original pattern style at all – now I can’t be stopped!!
(I just have to figure out how to stop the pic spinning round when I upload it and perhaps pluck up the courage to ‘model’ the clothes instead of hanging them in my bathroom doorway!)