Added Sep 3, 2011
Slc, Utah, Unite...
I wanted a few cardigans for my DD wardrobe and so I used an existing cardigan to make this one. I made it a bit big… my daughter is the smallest size of the pattern in the chest… but larger in the stomach and super tall… I’m thinking this will fit well into next year… but next time I’ll try the smaller pattern and just lengthen it. Anyway I used Simplicity 5317 and kept the buttons and neckline attached in the front and cut the back and reattached the existing neckline to the back… if that makes sense. For the ruffle/pleat detail I used all remaining fabric from the original cardigan cut into 3’’ strips and sewed them together to make 2 long strips and then pleated it down the front on both sides of buttons and I made sure to hide the seams in the pleats. Then I sewed in about 3/4 of an inch on either side of the ruffle.
Of course she spilled a little juice on it as soon as we put her in it to take pics… and I think it’s cuter in person. Hopefully this all made sense. I’m really happy with it and I think it will be a great addition to her fall/winter/spring wardrobe.
used a large women’s cardigan I found at the thrift store.