Added Nov 16, 2013
A couple of winters ago I made my mom a red coat from Burda Magazine 11/2003. I changed a couple of things about the pattern, like the depth of the collar and the trim down the sleeves.
The store bought quilted lining I originally used wasn’t lasting as long as I would have liked. And the armholes needed to be changed because the dropped shoulder design was bunching up under the arm. I think the lining was too thick for the design of the coat.
So this past summer I took the entire thing apart. Cut new armholes, changed the sleeves to fit in the new armholes. Instead of cutting and sewing entirely new sleeves I simply cut the tops off the old ones and added new pieces.
My mom wanted a hood but didn’t want to give up the collar. So I made a hood that folded up into the collar. The hood/collar design was inspired by a Sewaholic pattern I had. I also replaced the ribbing on the collar with polar fleece.
I quilted a new lining in black nylon, replaced a pocket zipper, stitched the split in the back up. I reused the zipper, and the zipper facing.
How to Grade, Draft, Design, and Sew!
Go far afield in wrap dresses, detailed jackets, and comfy separates for fall.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Check out Meg's finished Mash Up project of her denim suit and see how you can sew along!
Fashion & Trends
Dress like your favorite heroine from Disney's Frozen.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.