Remake Challenge Sundress
Added Sep 30, 2010
Brooklyn, New Yo...
I found this ugly but charming shirt dress thing for a quarter at a thrift store. It has been sitting in my pile of things to do for a long time, so this challenge gave me a push to finally try something out. I decided to try my hand at draping the princess line bodice & adjusting with flat pattern. Since there was limited fabric, I used the sleeve for parts of the bodice, carefully aligning the boxes across the bodice. I shirred the remaining parts of the dress for the skirt portion and added hidden snaps for the bodice. I really liked the curved hem at the sides, so I kept that part in the skirt. I mainly used the iron to smooth out the tricky curved seams of the bodice, and to apply the bias binding. I think the new sundress is a nice little remake of an ill-fitting, outdated original.
One ugly shirt dress for a quarter, bias seam binding for the top (also thrifted), hidden snaps, and some lace that a friend just sent me. Not bad for like 50 cents.