Added Feb 12, 2012
OK ok so I know I went a little posting crazy last night… but I just really wanted to share this final project. Only because it’s a little different from the others…
The story begins at the op shop (I know, I know, you’re probably sick of this setting by now, sorry!). A vibrant print caught my eye and it turned out to be a brightly patterned cotton XL sized singlet (what a mouthful!). I saw the potential straight away!
The ‘before’ image gives you an idea about the general shape of the original garment – nothing too fancy, really. No darts or special features other than french seamed armholes and neckline. The armholes were quite worn, however and had begun to fray. I considered my options and decided on a simple design – I wanted a bodice with a bit of shape, including a peplum and interesting little cap sleeves.
To begin with, I removed the decorative armhole finishes. I then tried on the ‘raw’ garment and marked roughly where I wanted the waistline. I cut the top all the way across at this point. Then I inserted front darts. I cut the back of the blouse in order to insert a zipper (since this was going to be a fitted top, I could no longer just slip it on and off ofver my head). I gathered the peplum scetion very slightly to give it a small amount of puff between the darts and the side seams and then again in roughly the same place at the back.
Next came the measurement of the bust and waist sections and correct sewing of the side seams. The armholes also got a bit of a chop to achieve a better shape. Once the side seams were finished, I sewed on the peplum (including waistline stay, as the fabric is quite lightweight and likely to stretch with time) and inserted the zipper at the back.
Finally, I ironed flat the leftover bits of fabric that were cut off when redoing the side seams. I then cut them into ellipses with pointy ends. I finished one edge with visible turquoise seam binding. Then sewed the ellipses to the armholes to make a nice cap sleeve. Then each armhole was further finished with seam binding to neaten things up.
I really love the colours on this blouse – when planning an outfit, I get to choose accessories that are virtually any colour, it’s awesome! The design also turned out to be fairly versatile – it’s an easy blouse to dress up or down :)
Tailoring a Jacket for the Perfect Fit and a Professional Finish
Pattern of the Week
Show a little leg in this sexy skirt with a thigh high slit!
In this Flagship Kit for only $19.99
The kids are sure to steal the show in this charming collection of classic, elegant pieces.
Member Project of the Week
She made this dress for her high school graduation, and it looks fab!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.