Added Aug 9, 2010
I bought this gorgeous shantung silk on a discount, since it was a leftover, around 1.20m long (1.40m wide). I knew I wanted to make a dress out it, but I was restricted by the amount of fabric. So, I decided to make another variation of the Bordeaux dress. I didn’t have enough fabric for neckline yoke facings, so I used leftovers of some satin I had in my stash. It made the inside of the dress so pretty and interesting. Also, I finished the seam allowances using the Hongkong finish technique, using self made bias strips.
I am sending the dress away, before I’ve even gotten a chance to wear it – it will be featured in the SewNews magazine (available in the USA), in the April/May issue 2011. Hopefully, I’ll get my dress back soon – I’ll miss it a lot!
LAST EDIT: The last picture is scanned from the April / May 2011 issue of the SewNews magazine, where the dress was featured.
Shantung silk, Satin
Create unique and on-trend swimwear with the BurdaStyle Swimsuit Sloper!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.