Added Jul 26, 2010
W. H., Californi...
Someone at my church gave me this dress. It is a Betsey Johnson and 100% silk, lovely fabric, but it just wasn’t my style and was too big. First of all, I am a dork because i forgot to take a before picture. It was a mid-calf lengthdress with a high collar that tied in a prissy bow around the neck. Then the dress keyholded down to basically the empire waist. So I cut off a ton at the bottom and that took the hemline to just above the knee. I removed the sleeves and cut the neck into a scoop style. I also sewed up the keyhole up to the neckline. I turned under the armholes and the neckline and sewed them over with a row of decorative stitching that kind of mimics the swirls in the dress. Then I then took the fabric that I cut off the bottom (with pinking shears), ruffled it and machine stitched it onto the neck. I left raw edges on the ruffle since I pinked it (we will see how this works out/distresses over time). For the bottom hem, I left it raw too but added three rows of decorative stitches, so it is practically serged. Then I applied buttons down the front bodice and Voila!, new dress. I am really happy with it.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.