Added Dec 29, 2009
Salt Lake City, ...
A dress I finished awhile ago from Newlook 6674. Not surprisingly, it took me an entire year to actually finish this project…Cut it out a year ago, sewed it up six months later and then made some alterations to it not too long ago. I took pattern option A and removed the sleeves and added bias tape to make a binding for the sleeveless look. I added in a ruffle collar which is made from purple swiss dot silk that I just happened upon a few years ago. That is one hard fabric to find, let me tell you. Cut a few strips of that, gathered it and added it around the collar area before I put on the facing. I was having a problem keeping the busty area of this dress closed and not because the girls are big if you know what I mean. Actually, its because the shoulders are broad in this case. So I added those buttons on the front to help combat that problem. Now for the back. This was a complete accident. Since I have broad shoulders and didn’t plan for that, even though I’ve made this dress before, I decided to add a little inset to the back. I cut the back in half and then sewed in a triangle in the top section and sewed the rest of the backing back together. After that, I just topstitched to keep from fraying too much on the inside. I love the way this turned out. Sort of vintage in a way, I think.
Made using Echino, japanese fabric. 100% cotton.
Ruffled collar is made from 100% swiss dot silk.
RSVP for The Sewing Party and take a peek at exciting classes you won't find anywhere else.
Exotic prints and silhouettes combine for this alluring collection
Fashion & Trends
While Sewing Their Own Halloween Costume (in GIFs!)
Member Project of the Week
Rwest1014's created this gorgeous skirt to wear Halloween after Halloween.
Comment To Win
Get your copy of BurdaStyle Modern Sewing: Wardrobe Essentials today!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.