Added Dec 1, 2011
Based on the 60’s dress by Alexandra. I made a muslin of her template and I would guess that it’s about a size US 0. For each piece I had to add 1" to the sides (+ seam allowance) to get it up to my size, US 4.
My brief sewing steps:
- sew darts (exterior & lining)
- attach front & back at shoulders (exterior & lining)
- sew lining to exterior, RST, around neck & back peep hole
- attach sleeve, sewing through exterior & lining, but starting & ending 3/8" (my seam allowance) from beginning & end.
- tuck aside the lining & sew the sleeve seam & side seam (one continuous seam)
- sew lining for that side
- on the other side, again tuck aside the lining & sew the sleeve seam & side seam (one continuous seam), end at zipper starting point
- install invisible zipper
- finish sewing side seam for exterior
- sew the lining to the zipper in the zipper seam allowance (this can be tricky!)
- finish lining side seam
About 1.5 yards exterior, 1 yd lining. 58" wide fabric
30 select jacket and coat patterns are now marked down to $3.99.
Pattern of the Week
The wrap shape creates a flattering V neckline and looks good on every body type!
Learn why every seamstress can benefit from flat patternmaking from instructor Deborah Moebes.
How to Grade, Draft, Design, and Sew Leggings with Meg!
Go far afield in wrap dresses, detailed jackets, and comfy separates for fall.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.