Added Dec 1, 2011
Based on the 60’s dress by Alexandra. I made a muslin of her template and I would guess that it’s about a size US 0. For each piece I had to add 1" to the sides (+ seam allowance) to get it up to my size, US 4.
My brief sewing steps:
- sew darts (exterior & lining)
- attach front & back at shoulders (exterior & lining)
- sew lining to exterior, RST, around neck & back peep hole
- attach sleeve, sewing through exterior & lining, but starting & ending 3/8" (my seam allowance) from beginning & end.
- tuck aside the lining & sew the sleeve seam & side seam (one continuous seam)
- sew lining for that side
- on the other side, again tuck aside the lining & sew the sleeve seam & side seam (one continuous seam), end at zipper starting point
- install invisible zipper
- finish sewing side seam for exterior
- sew the lining to the zipper in the zipper seam allowance (this can be tricky!)
- finish lining side seam
About 1.5 yards exterior, 1 yd lining. 58" wide fabric
Check out Denise's new video and find out why you should sign up now!
Why you should wear clothing made to fit YOU! (In GIF's)
4 Week Online Course
Use Coupon Code: KNITS15 and Register for only $49.99!
Fashion & Trends
Vacation planned for the winter? Sew up these style to take away with you and also get 20% off!
We have just extended registration to accommodate a few more students
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.