Added Dec 1, 2011
Based on the 60’s dress by Alexandra. I made a muslin of her template and I would guess that it’s about a size US 0. For each piece I had to add 1" to the sides (+ seam allowance) to get it up to my size, US 4.
My brief sewing steps:
- sew darts (exterior & lining)
- attach front & back at shoulders (exterior & lining)
- sew lining to exterior, RST, around neck & back peep hole
- attach sleeve, sewing through exterior & lining, but starting & ending 3/8" (my seam allowance) from beginning & end.
- tuck aside the lining & sew the sleeve seam & side seam (one continuous seam)
- sew lining for that side
- on the other side, again tuck aside the lining & sew the sleeve seam & side seam (one continuous seam), end at zipper starting point
- install invisible zipper
- finish sewing side seam for exterior
- sew the lining to the zipper in the zipper seam allowance (this can be tricky!)
- finish lining side seam
About 1.5 yards exterior, 1 yd lining. 58" wide fabric
Sewing & Techniques
Introducing our popular Basic Bodice and Skirt Slopers now available in plus sizes!
You could win a social spotlight or full year subscription.
Featuring great prizes and the Magic Pattern Book.
Take a peek at the new How-To page
ALL about Etsy
How to take your Etsy Shop to the Next Level: Boost Traffic and Sales
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.