Added Aug 7, 2012
I created this dress for a friend’s wedding I’d been planning to attend for months. I worked on it slowly over the few weeks before the wedding and managed to finish it just in time. I used a drapey white and red rayon shirting and Frankensteined the bodice from M5845 to a circle skirt from a vintage McCall’s dress pattern I’d originally planned to use for the entire project. Sometimes when things don’t work out, it’s for the best, because I really love the final bodice/skirt combination I ended up with!
I did make a few changes to the patterns I used, including shortening the circle skirt to near the knee, lowering the bodice neckline by 1.5" and creating an entirely different back closure on the bodice using a clasp hidden by a big bow. I also added a waist stay, which helped keep everything in place and prevented the skirt/waistline from drooping.
M5845, Vintage M4581, white and red rayon from Fabric.com, petersham ribbon from a Fashionable stitch (for waist stay), lots of thread, 7" invisible zip, 2 to 3 clasps for waist stay and bow closure, tiny sew-on snaps to hold one side of bow in place, muslin for lining the bodice.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.