polka dot swing
Added Dec 13, 2010
I finished this dress late last week, have worn it a couple times and finally was able to get some snapshots yesterday to share with you! Of course, just as I’ve finished this lightweight, semi-sheer rayon dress, the weather has gotten chilly–but I don’t mind
The pattern is Sense and Sensibility’s “swing dress”http://sensibility.com/patterns/1940s-swing-dress-pattern/ , which is really becoming a staple for my wardrobe–this is number three that I’ve made from this pattern in the past year! What I like is that it’s not only a flattering silhouette, but also a basic without being boring–something I need more of in my closet. I made a few changes to the pattern when I made this up: namely leaving off the back sash ties. I used those on the previous two dresses, but kept wondering how the dress would look without them and a belt instead? I’m wearing one of my favorite vintage belts in these pictures, but also made a bow belt and have another with a vintage black buckle in the works. It’s a simple swap, but really opens up the possibilities for accessorizing.
One thing I had made a mental note of on the other two versions was that I really needed to interface the midriff piece–especially with this light and somewhat slippery fabric. I just used a knit fusible interfacing, applied to the midriff only, and that helped a lot with any possibly distortion on this lightweight fabric. Another change I did was to modify the sleeve cap, which is more of a fitting tweak, but just as necessary to achieving the shoulder line I wanted. In both my previous versions of this dress the sleeve cap has been far too full for the smooth, set-in style that the envelope shows. Since the pattern is based on a 40s pattern, this is not surprising–many commercial patterns from this era have simply too much ease in the sleeve cap. It’s an easy fix, involving measuring and re-cutting the cap to fit the armhole with the proper amount of ease though.