Added Mar 10, 2013
I used well known pattern 4790 from Butterick to recreate “Apron” dress..
Before I could finish the project, I had to find sewing form, so that I can level and hem the full skirt.
I found dummy – vintage Dritz mesh dress form that then molded to my body. I called her Alfoncina.
She looks like me and even slouches the same way :-)
I deviated from the original finishing as follows:
1. I used poly instead of cotton for more refine look
2. I finished raw edges with very narrow jersey binding – folded right side up, attached, wrapped around the edge and hand-stitched on the wrong side. This makes edge clean on both sides.
3. Binding ends used as ties on the back
4. I also used belt ties for the front instead of snaps or buttons to allow flexibility.
5. Petticoat is split up front all the way to the bottom to allow wearing with this dress.
Threre are a few more vintage dress projects that I am finishing and will be posting soon…
4 yards of polka-dot white polyester.
We're wishing Meg a happy birthday with 50% off her favorite patterns.
Pattern of the Week
This boho lace top is the perfect piece to start wearing this time of year.
NEW on BurdaStyle Videos!
Becky MacKinnon will guide you through each step of sewing the stylish BurdaStyle Crossover Pant
How to Grow Your Creative Business: Expand Your Portfolio and Reach a New Market
Sashes, drape, and a wrap cardigan in mauve for pretty fall days.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.