Polka-Dot dress - Butterick 4790
Added Mar 10, 2013
I used well known pattern 4790 from Butterick to recreate “Apron” dress..
Before I could finish the project, I had to find sewing form, so that I can level and hem the full skirt.
I found dummy – vintage Dritz mesh dress form that then molded to my body. I called her Alfoncina.
She looks like me and even slouches the same way :-)
I deviated from the original finishing as follows:
1. I used poly instead of cotton for more refine look
2. I finished raw edges with very narrow jersey binding – folded right side up, attached, wrapped around the edge and hand-stitched on the wrong side. This makes edge clean on both sides.
3. Binding ends used as ties on the back
4. I also used belt ties for the front instead of snaps or buttons to allow flexibility.
5. Petticoat is split up front all the way to the bottom to allow wearing with this dress.
Threre are a few more vintage dress projects that I am finishing and will be posting soon…
4 yards of polka-dot white polyester.