Added Mar 10, 2013
I used well known pattern 4790 from Butterick to recreate “Apron” dress..
Before I could finish the project, I had to find sewing form, so that I can level and hem the full skirt.
I found dummy – vintage Dritz mesh dress form that then molded to my body. I called her Alfoncina.
She looks like me and even slouches the same way :-)
I deviated from the original finishing as follows:
1. I used poly instead of cotton for more refine look
2. I finished raw edges with very narrow jersey binding – folded right side up, attached, wrapped around the edge and hand-stitched on the wrong side. This makes edge clean on both sides.
3. Binding ends used as ties on the back
4. I also used belt ties for the front instead of snaps or buttons to allow flexibility.
5. Petticoat is split up front all the way to the bottom to allow wearing with this dress.
Threre are a few more vintage dress projects that I am finishing and will be posting soon…
4 yards of polka-dot white polyester.
Check out these festive sewing patterns just in time for Oktoberfest
Fashion & Trends
All the fall trouser sewing inspiration you need.
Pattern of the Week
This jacket is a mix of mod and military and will change the look of any outfit!
Go far afield in this collection of bib dresses, waistcoats, and wool jackets in textured fall fabri
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this jean alteration technique and find out how you can learn more!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.