Added Mar 10, 2013
I used well known pattern 4790 from Butterick to recreate “Apron” dress..
Before I could finish the project, I had to find sewing form, so that I can level and hem the full skirt.
I found dummy – vintage Dritz mesh dress form that then molded to my body. I called her Alfoncina.
She looks like me and even slouches the same way :-)
I deviated from the original finishing as follows:
1. I used poly instead of cotton for more refine look
2. I finished raw edges with very narrow jersey binding – folded right side up, attached, wrapped around the edge and hand-stitched on the wrong side. This makes edge clean on both sides.
3. Binding ends used as ties on the back
4. I also used belt ties for the front instead of snaps or buttons to allow flexibility.
5. Petticoat is split up front all the way to the bottom to allow wearing with this dress.
Threre are a few more vintage dress projects that I am finishing and will be posting soon…
4 yards of polka-dot white polyester.
Make something special and practical for your friends and family this holiday season!
Pattern of the Week
This slim-fit dress makes a perfect cocktail dress for this time of year!
Sweet dresses, an outfit for a doll, and cute embellishments are fun for the holidays!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Straight Skirt, and how she made it look so yummy!
Member Project of the Week
The latest Elie Saab collection inspired this hand-beaded dress by chanel2005.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.