Pleats of My Heart
Added Mar 14, 2010
New Jersey, Unit...
To make this, I altered the dirndl dress pattern from the new Built by Wendy Dresses book. It took a little fiddling to get the pleats the way I wanted (read more on “my blog”: http://sewsterhood.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/pleasing-pleats/) and the bodice fit I was going for, but I think it was worth the effort. I finished the arm and neck openings with facings and gave it a side invisible zip.
I really love this fabric—the print as well as the hand. And a special thanks to my grandparents, who very nicely got it for me during our last visit. The fabric has a lovely little border print along each selvedge that I was originally going to put along the hem, but I loved the way it looked integrated into the top of the pleats, so I went with that instead. (It would have been a maxi-dress situation to have the border both places.)
Quilting cotton—from the French General for Moda line Rouenneries.