Added Jun 25, 2011
This dress was made quite a few years ago (the copyright on the envelope says 2001, so it was probably built in ’02 or ’03) before I discovered the world of online sewing websites and blogs. With summer here, and the temperature finally catching up with the season, I pulled my polka dot frock out of the closet for some pictures.
Vogue 2267, Original 1954 Design: MISSES’ BOLERO & DRESS Fitted, above waist, lined bolero has raised neckline, side panels, no side seams and above elbow sleeves. No Provision for Above-Waist Adjustment. Close-fitting, flared dress, mid-calf, has princess seams, inside belt and side pockets/zipper. Purchased belt and petticoat.
The finished garment does not have quite the hem width that the pattern envelope illustrations would suggest, and although a small petticoat or crinoline would create a more 1950s silhouette, I enjoy wearing this dress without one.
The instructions are very clear. That being said, there are a couple of tricky spots that might frustrate a true beginner (the pattern is rated “Average” and I would agree), including pointed corners that get reinforced with organza squares and bound buttonholes on the bolero, and a side pocket/zipper opening to contend with. Of course, it would be easy to substitute machine buttonholes and remove the pockets altogether, but where is the fun in that – the extra effort really adds to the finished garment.
I appreciate that the bolero is lined as so many vintage patterns that I have come across do not include these steps or pieces.
The only small irritation is that the shoulders on the dress are too wide, and this is my fault for choosing the wrong size (although it would be helpful if Vogue would put the important finished measurements on the envelope back like bust and waist – hint, hint – who cares about the lower width?!). I used over-sized seam allowances for the majority of the dress, but I was a relative newby to sewing garments when I made this and was afraid of messing with the facing. The bolero covers this issue, so I really have nothing to complain about.
Because the fabric I chose is extremely sheer, I added a lining to the dress. I used a peach-colored cotton to warm up the cream color background which worked nicely.
I used an invisible zipper which meant that I had to depart from the instructions a bit – looking at the finished garment years later, I am impressed that I figured it out on my own. All of the lovely sewing blogs that I only recently became aware of would have come in handy!
I added a self-fabric belt and buckle. The buckle was one of those awful plastic things from the 1980s that was used to make a t-shirt form fitting at the waist. Turns out that it is a good thing I saved mine (this one actually came from a rummage sale with a couple of metal buckles, but I have previously used the same technique with a lovely floral plastic beauty that I used to wear with t-shirts to make myself a belt). To cover the stained plastic, I cut a length of bias fabric and turned one edge under – I left the other edge raw because it would have created more bulk. I secured one end to the plastic with hot glue (I normally cringe at the idea of using glue on fabric, but I made an exception in this case because there was no way to sew into the plastic) and wrapped the bias fabric around the edges, making sure to cover the raw edge of the fabric with the next loop.
Because I added a belt and the finished dress was not super snug at the waist, I chose to forego the waist-stay.
This is a Vintage Vogue reproduction from 1954 in polka dots – of course I love it! Now I just need to remember to wear it more often!
*Cotton *Belting *Invisible zipper
Tailoring a Jacket for the Perfect Fit and a Professional Finish
Pattern of the Week
Show a little leg in this sexy skirt with a thigh high slit!
In this Flagship Kit for only $19.99
The kids are sure to steal the show in this charming collection of classic, elegant pieces.
Member Project of the Week
She made this dress for her high school graduation, and it looks fab!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.