Added Sep 21, 2010
Brooklyn, New Yo...
This raw silk floral print fabric had been in my stash forever. I had been thinking about making a strappy summer top, but I had a over a yard so I thought I should try to get something a bit more out of it. Then I saw Angie’s version of McCalls 6083 over on Sew I Though and I knew she had found a great romper pattern that was perfect for my bright pink floral, so I went right out a bought it for myself.
I only had exactly 60 inches of fabric so I barely had enough for the size 16, but I managed to squeeze it in. I had to make the pocket facings with some scrap white cotton batiste. Squeezing it out of the fabric meant I couldn’t lengthen it and it’s a tad short (ahem) in the crotch, but I’m pleased enough with the first go around to definitely try it again.
My one modification was to not making the waist casing and getting an extra 1/2" length out of the waist seam allowances and just stitched the elastic directly over the seam. Even with the extra 1/2 inch, it is VERY tricky to get in and out of this no-stretch woven. No outside festival port-a-potties in this thing! I will definitely lengthen it next time and perhaps add some snap tape in the inseam.
Raw Silk from my stash, pink
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's variation of our Drawstring Gym Shorts, and see how she made them high-fashion!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.