Added Aug 2, 2010
I made the Danielle pattern out of a white cotton with a small pink and red grid pattern. This is my first pattern-based project in 12 years and I think it came out pretty well considering.
I made a few modifications: I left out the sleeves, I cut the skirt 2 sizes larger than the bodice, I added an inch to the neckline, and I added pockets. The variation to the neckline made the facings hard to match in the front. I ended up doing quite a bit of tweaking to get it to line up and lie flat. I also had to move one of my pleats over by half an inch in order to make it line up with the bodice darts.
Overall, the dress isn’t that complicated to make, but the instructions are often unclear. I found the pictures in the instructions VERY helpful. Also, I find that the size chart is very accurate. Next time I think that I would make the opening for the pockets larger than the 4 inches here (5 would probably be better), I would close the pleats for a couple of inches, and I would do the armholes a little differently. I stitched the facings to the armholes when I stitched the neckline, then flipped it, stitching the shoulders of the whole dress last. Next time I will try doing the shoulders first, flip after the neckline and fold the arm holes under & top stitching. That might help some of the facing issues I was having.
Medium weight woven cotton 2.1m (I couldn’t have cut sleeves if I had wanted to).
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
Stock up on our favorite BurdaStyle patterns sewn in white!
Learn How to Sew Knits Successfully With a Sewing Machine
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.