Added Sep 16, 2011
I was invited to a PhD ceremony in june (of my brother-in-law). As the big day approached, I realized I needed a new dress, because nothing in my wardrobe was suitable for the occasion. Fortunately, I did have a fabric that was. And even better, I had another invitation for a wedding in august, and both events had not even 1 guest in common. So I could make one dress for 2 celebrations. I found a pattern I liked in Burda 03/2011.
I made a few adjustments to the original pattern. First, I made the dcollet less deep (to ensure it would be decent enough). Furthermore, I did not use lining and finished the neck line and arm holes with a facing. I am very pleased with the result. One drawback of omitting the lining was that the dress clung to my legs. When I decided to buy lining to make an underskirt, the shop-woman advised me to first try to soak the dress in fabric softener. And it worked!
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
Sip cocktails by the fire in faux fur, patterned silks, and more luxurious fabrics.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.