Added Sep 16, 2011
I was invited to a PhD ceremony in june (of my brother-in-law). As the big day approached, I realized I needed a new dress, because nothing in my wardrobe was suitable for the occasion. Fortunately, I did have a fabric that was. And even better, I had another invitation for a wedding in august, and both events had not even 1 guest in common. So I could make one dress for 2 celebrations. I found a pattern I liked in Burda 03/2011.
I made a few adjustments to the original pattern. First, I made the dcollet less deep (to ensure it would be decent enough). Furthermore, I did not use lining and finished the neck line and arm holes with a facing. I am very pleased with the result. One drawback of omitting the lining was that the dress clung to my legs. When I decided to buy lining to make an underskirt, the shop-woman advised me to first try to soak the dress in fabric softener. And it worked!
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.