PhD / Wedding Dress
Added Sep 16, 2011
I was invited to a PhD ceremony in june (of my brother-in-law). As the big day approached, I realized I needed a new dress, because nothing in my wardrobe was suitable for the occasion. Fortunately, I did have a fabric that was. And even better, I had another invitation for a wedding in august, and both events had not even 1 guest in common. So I could make one dress for 2 celebrations. I found a pattern I liked in Burda 03/2011.
I made a few adjustments to the original pattern. First, I made the dcollet less deep (to ensure it would be decent enough). Furthermore, I did not use lining and finished the neck line and arm holes with a facing. I am very pleased with the result. One drawback of omitting the lining was that the dress clung to my legs. When I decided to buy lining to make an underskirt, the shop-woman advised me to first try to soak the dress in fabric softener. And it worked!