Penitentiary Prada for Halloween!
Added Nov 2, 2009
by Anna Nguyen
Austin, Texas, U...
This year I decided to make “prison” uniform for my wife and I. It’s normally not a very original idea, but I gave it a twist and gave the garments fairly trendy silhouettes.
For my wife, I used pattern McCall’s 5583, view A, with 3/4 sleeves. The sleeves and the neckline are quilted. I used one layer of polar fleece as the padding. I also made a matching satchel drawstring purse, lined.
For me, I drafted my own trousers pattern, based on this draft:
with some changes to make it more up-to-date. The pants have slim legs, low rise, quilted back pockets, and quilted outter thighs. The pattern for my shirt is from an existing shirt, made by David Page Coffin’s method. The shirt fits snugly, with darts in back. The collar is in contrasting white, unintentionally :) . I quilted the front and back shoulder yokes. I also made a matching cap, with quilted band.
I was honkin’ along, making good progress, constructing the shirt collar per DPC’s book, when I noticed that the white undercollar ended up topmost! !@#$%^&*! :) Oh well, never too old to make a mistake! This mistake resulted in the collar having that weird curvature, because the eased upper collar ended up on the bottom.
The costumes’ piece de resistance was a spray paint stenciled sign for the back: “Neverland Dept of Correction”! :) I made the stencil by cutting out letters from plastic letter stenciling sheets bought at Jo-Ann and taping the letters together. Yeah, it took a while to make the stencil. I used black spray fabric paint.
black-and-white horizontally striped cotton
self-drafted trousers pattern
shirt pattern duplicated from an existing shirt, per David Page Coffin’s method